Friday, February 4, 2011

Cabin Fever


Today marks my eighth day onboard. I think I am going a little stir crazy. This will be our longest stretch on the ship for this entire voyage. On Sunday, we will finally dock in Takoradi, Ghana. There, I am building a home in a rural village, going on a 6-mile hike in a national park known for its unspoiled beauty, and traveling to Nzulezo which is a floating fishing village built directly on top of a river. Also, I have a few days to do some independent travel. This is great because Ghana is famed for having some of the most beautiful beaches in the world. I’m pretty siked.

In the past week, I have gotten to know this ship very intimately. Yesterday we had the Sea Olympics. This is basically a huge competition between the seas (we are all split up into seas depending on where we live – I’m the Aegean Sea). We compete in like 30 different things. Even though Moriah and I contributed almost nothing to the entire thing, our sea ended up coming in second place, meaning that we get to be the second sea to disembark the ship at the final port on San Diego. This is kind of a huge deal because during disembarkation, you are required to stay in your cabin for up to 7 hours while the other people get off. Boo ya.

Also, Moriah, Ashley (our bff) and I have been spending a lot of time developing something we like to call the Sea Monster Watch. This is a journal kept by our pirate alter egos (SeeWeedz, Skipper, and Barni-coolz respectively) about our search for nautical beasties. The journal includes Skipper’s Compass which is Ashley’s side column on recipes, horoscopes, weather, ect. Every few days we print one of these out and leave it anonymously on our RA’s door. So far, it has caused a huge commotion. That’s a lie, everyone is ignoring it. Well, I think its funny. Also, I have a severe case of cabin fever so sue me. 

1 comment:

  1. LOLOLOLOLOL i love how you write like you actually talk to people. it's like we're talking on the phone
    you're fucking hilarious, dude
    I MISS YOU SO MUCH
    <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete